I started this blog a year back to share my experience about the Canadian Student VISA process. The VISA process is fairly simple but strangely enough very few people have enough details about how to go about the process. So, let me guide you through the process.

It’s been a year since I applied for my Canadian VISA. Everything went as planned once I landed here and it has been an amazing journey ever since. So, I am looking forward to share my experience with my fellow Indians about not only how to apply for Canadian Student VISA, but also about life in Canada. I am going to touch on “How to get a Canadian Driving License”, “How to travel to the US” etc. etc. Hope this helps and hope to see you in Canada soon.


Currency


Let’s cover a little about currencies. It is very important that you have enough cash at hand for any kind for emergency. Then you would also need cash once you reach Canada. I used my travel currency card everywhere. I also opened a bank account a week after I arrived in Canada (I had opened another account while I was still in India). Once I had the local accounts, I withdrew all the money from my currency card and transferred it to my local account.  

Here is the break-up of how much you should ideally carry.

    1.       Rs.1000-3000 cash and a credit card if possible 
    2.       $500-$1000 cash. (Have around $50-$100 USD and rest in CAD. USD is more widely accepted in Europe)
    3.       THE MOST IMPORTANT thing of all- travel currency card. This is one of the most convenient things around. This is a prepaid card (SBI Vishwa Yatra, AXIS Thomas Cook travel card etc). You can load it with currency in India use it as a normal debit card in Canada. I carried all my money (for at least the next four months) in this form. You can swipe these cards (no extra charge) in Canada like a normal debit/credit card and withdraw cash at an ATM ($1-$2 charge per transaction). So I used this method to transfer money from India to Canada. Whenever, I am in need of money, my parents load money into this card and I get the money in my card within a day. This is the best method to transfer money because if you do a normal wire transfer, you are charged Rs.500-800 in transaction charges. This is much more convenient.
    4.       You can also open a Canadian Bank account while you are in India. Oh yes, I did that too. Scotia bank has a start right program. They open an account in Canada for you once you give them all the documents. (You would need your VISA ready for opening the account though). You have to get in touch with the partner bank for that. The partner bank in India is Kotak Mahindra. They open the account in 15-20 days. You can collect your student (debit and credit card) from the branch, once you land in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment